Statewide Parent & Family Engagement Initiative
Resources on this page are provided via the Statewide Parent & Family Engagement Initiative which is funded by the Texas Education Agency and produced by Region 16 Education Service Center. This website serves as a central location for ESSA Parent & Family Engagement resources on compliance and best practice.
If you have question or need additional assistance with your Title I, Part A program feel free to contact our ESC-2 State and Federal Programs Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- ESSA Sec. 1116
- Family Engagement Compliance Calendar
- Building Capacity Requirements
- Constructing a Parent Engagement Program to Build Parent Capacity (PowerPoint)
- Building Relationships with Parents Educator Training (PowerPoint)
Annual Title I Meeting
All schools receiving Title I, Part A funds are required to convene an annual Title I, Part A parent meeting
- to inform parents and families of their school’s participation oto explain the requirements of the Title I, Part A program
- to explain the right of parents to be involved
- Parent and Family Engagement Meetings One Pager
- Parents' Right to Know Letters
- Parents' Rights in ESSA, Section 1116 One Pagers
- Parents' Rights in ESSA, Section 1116 One Pagers (Spanish)
- Resources for conducting your Annual Title I Meeting
School Parent Compacts
Each school shall jointly develop with parents … a school parent compact that outlines how parents, the entire school staff, and students will share the responsibility for improved academic achievement and the means by which the school and parents will build and develop a partnership to help children achieve the State’s high standards.
- School-Parent Compacts
- Five Steps to Success for Developing School-Parent Compacts
- School Parent Compact Documentation
- Parent Teacher Conferences
Written PFE Policy
LEAs must conduct outreach to all parents and family members and implement programs, activities, and procedures for the involvement of parents and families. ESSA Section 1116 (a)(1). At a minimum, the district parent and family engagement policy must include…
- Develop Jointly
- Build Capacity of Schools
- Coordinate Services
- Annual Evaluation
- Design Evidence-Based Strategies
- Involve Parents in Activities
- Policy Tip Sheet
- School Parent & Family Engagement Policy Checklist
- Written PFE Policy (District & Campus)
Reservation of Funds
Any local education area (LEA) with a Title I, Part A allocation exceeding $500,000 is required by statute to set-aside 1% of its Title I, Part A allocation for parent and family engagement.
- Of that 1%,10% may be reserved at the LEA for system-wide initiatives and administrative expenses related to parent and family engagement.
- Of the 1%, 90% must be allocated to the Title I schools in the LEA to implement school-level parent and family engagement.
- Title I parents have the right to be involved in the decisions regarding how these funds will be used for parent and family engagement activities.
PFE Newsletters, Videos and Evaluation Resources
Statewide Parent and Family Engagement Conference